Sunday, November 15, 2015

[SINGLE REVIEW] ANGERME - Desugita Kui wa Utarenai / Dondengaeshi / Watashi

Hello, everyone! Calli here!

For my official first post, I've decided to review Hello! Project's most recent single. I'll post reviews of new singles/albums here, and reviews of old content on my personal blog.

This single is Fukuda Kanon's last with the group, and I must say, she went out with a bang.

The musical quality of Hello! Project in 2015 has been outstanding, and this single is no exception at all.

1. Desugita Kui wa Utarenai



Although this song starts out a little rough with the iMovie sound effects, it officially begins with the heavy metal guitar arrangement. This arrangement was composed and recorded by LovendoR's Uozumi Yuki, and she did a fantastic job. The girls' solos bounce really well off each other, and each girl looks and sounds flawless. I love the contrast of the calmer verse compared to the booming chorus. The "Doushite doushite" parts actually remind me a bit of the head-bobbing parts in "Atarashii Watashi ni Nare!" Also, it is finally Kananan's time to shine. I read in her interview with Tokyo Girls' Update that she is so pleased to finally be getting lead vocal lines, and it shows. She really has been shining as of late. She got the bridge solo in this song! Overall, Desugita is a hard-rock song that's sure to impress any idol fan with its daring composure and its haunting concept.

2. Dondengaeshi


While "Desugita Kui wa Utarenai" was more of a heavy-metal composition, "Dondengaeshi" is a power-rock composition. The song jumps right into the chorus, and right from the get-go, you know you're gonna get something epic. Takechan and Meimi open up the song wonderfully, being some of the best vocalists in ANGERME. Kana and Rina's voices blend so beautifully in their duet line, I tear up and get the shivers. Again, Kana's talent is really blooming. Her vibrato is very beautiful. The chorus of this amazing piece of art makes you want to cry of joy. The drums' boom-boom-boom beat hits just the right tone of the song. Honestly, this is the song I'll listen to when I'm feeling depressed, because it has the most amazing effect on my temperament. All the girls' vocals sound great and polished, which is expected from such a vocally strong group. ANGERME are truly shaping up to be one of the best H!P groups of all time.

3. Watashi (Fukuda Kanon solo)



In light of Maro's upcoming graduation and long tenure in Hello! Project, of course she got a solo song. What's unique about this one is that she wrote the lyrics to it herself. I'm sorry to say, though, if you were digging ANGERME's metal sound from the previous two songs, you definitely won't find it in this track. This song is pretty standard kawaii electro-bubble-pop. However, it works really well for Maro. It seems she had a lot of say in the sound of this song. It's not particularly my favorite, but if it makes her happy, then I'm happy. The chorus is very nice. Her vocals don't sound outstanding, though, and I feel this song does not show her true vocal potential. I do think it's a very catchy and cute pop song, though, so I'll definitely forgive it.

---

Overall, ANGERME's 3rd single is simply outstanding and I would recommend it to any music fan. I think it contains a song for everyone, which is what a Triple A-side should be like. I've fallen in love with everything ANGERME has done since their change, and I look forward to what they will do in the future.

I'll see you guys again soon!

Calli, out!



No comments:

Post a Comment